More

    Rust Armorer’s Lawyer Doubles Down on Sabotage Claims, Says She’s ‘Being Framed’

    The aftermath of the deadly accident on the set of Rust last month has had people pointing fingers in several different directions as to whom is responsible. One person in particular that has come under a lot of fire is the set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, and she has since hired Jason Bowles to serve as her attorney. Recently, Bowles made headlines by insinuating that a “disgruntled” crew member may have mixed live rounds in with the blanks on the set to deliberately cause an incident.

    On Wednesday, Gutierrez-Reed was sued along with star Alec Baldwin and others associated with the production. Key gaffer Serge Svetnoy, who was on the set and witnessed the shooting, alleges that the negligence of the filmmakers, including Gutierrez-Reed, resulted in the traumatic incident. Hours after the lawsuit was filed, Bowles released a statement asserting that the rounds on the set may have been tampered with as a way of framing Gutierrez-Reed. You can read the lawyer’s statement below.

    MOVIEWEB VIDEO OF THE DAY

    “Yesterday, we met with the Santa Fe County Deputy Sheriffs and Hannah continued to cooperate and provided a full interview. Information is coming out that needs to be fully investigated and considered by the District Attorney. We eagerly await the FBI’s investigation as well and we are asking for a full and complete investigation of all of the facts, including the live rounds themselves, how they ended up in the ‘dummies’ box, and who put them in there. We are convinced that this was sabotage and Hannah is being framed. We believe that the scene was tampered with as well before the police arrived. The truth finding process demands that the District Attorney and FBI run down all of the evidence, including the nature of those live rounds.”

    Jason Bowles closes by saying that he is awaiting the response from the Sheriff’s Office to their request to share more critical information related to the case. Investigators are actively working to determine exactly how live rounds wound up into a prop gun on a movie set, along with why it was declared to be safe when that wasn’t the case. Three search warrants have been executed at the site of the set, and they’ve located at least 500 rounds of ammunition which police say is a mixture of blanks, dummy rounds and suspected live rounds.

    Advertisement

    The claim that a disgruntled crew member might have introduced those live rounds in with the blanks stems from reports that several members of the camera crew had walked off the set in the hours before the accident, citing safety and financial concerns. Without naming any one person specifically, Bowles is asserting that one of these people could have slipped in some live rounds with the others on the way out to further emphasize how unsafe the set really was, if not to outright cause someone to get hurt.

    Hannah Gutierrez-Reed also says she was hired for a second job as a props assistant and this kept her from focusing on her duties as an armorer. She claims that this is why she had to leave the firearms and bullets unattended, as well as why she wasn’t physically present when the accident occurred. No one has been arrested or charged criminally for the incident at this time. Alec Baldwin has suggested hiring police officers to monitor firearm safety on sets. This news comes to us from Deadline.

    Advertisement

    Leave a reply

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here